Tuesday 7 February 2012

Of things fast and slow

I have always had the love for speed. However things have slowed down much after having a family. Even though I have slowed down, I still enjoy driving a high powered car and attending some of the weekly races.

I'm not much of an endurance racer, more the quick run and finish, short 4-5 lap races and of-course the mighty drag race. It is amazing to find how much weight needs to be lost and how much power needs to be added just to get milliseconds faster.

The other kind of race I enjoy is the uphill and downhill races made popular by initial-d. This really challenges both man and machine as there is unknown changes to the environment and reflexes need to be quick to engage these changes.

I still love my honda B16A engine daily drives. I think they are the ultimate between performance and fuel economy. Driving at highway speeds gets you decent mileage. A full tank runs around 450km. Whilst if you're stepping it hard on the circuit it will give you around 200km.

To extract the power of the B16A all one has to be familiar with is the engagement of VTEC and keeping your gearing in the VTEC range to extract its power. Anything below that and it is the same as driving any normal car out there with the same CC.

There are some disadvantages to this for a high revving engine and power is at the top of your RPM band, the lower end does not produce as much torque as compared to a SOHC engine or conventional engine. Its very slight and does not give you any major issues.

Get your race team sponsored!

No comments:

Post a Comment